Monday, January 23, 2012

My "Couch"

I found this idea on Pinterest and it has been a huge hit! I love that it folds up and can be easily put away. I also love that I made it with 5 pillows instead of the suggested 4, she will be able to grow into and use it for years to come. I also love that she can prop up on it when we watch a movie...and sometimes she lets us snuggle on it with her too! I will say that I tried to follow the instructions(found here), but in the end did my own thing (with some input from my friend, Laura). It was much easier to do this way...

What you will need:
5 pillows (from Target,on sale for $3 a piece).
3 yards of cotton fabric (prewash) - you could get 1 1/2 of two different fabrics if you want each side to look different.

What you will do:
Lay the fabric out and then place pillows where you want them to go.
Mark your side seams. I had to cut off some of the sides so I wouldn't have a huge seam. You want the sides to overlap when finished. Pretty much you are making a giant pillow sham.
After you have your side seams marked. Sew.
Also, do the same for the top and bottom seams as well. Remember to do this inside out and then turn it right sides to do the last step.
Mark where your pillows will go. Sew the top seam closed and then start sewing each spot for the pillows. I added a pillow each time I did it just to make sure it fit so I wouldn't have to go back at the end and fix all five.

I am sure that my directions make no sense and I'm sorry that there aren't any "how-to" pictures. I honestly wasn't sure it was going to work. But it did! And let me just say, making it so that you can take it off to wash was the best decision. 2 year old girls can make a mess!

Here are two pictures of the "couch" in action!



No comments:

Post a Comment