Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gluten-Free Cooking

I really do love to cook (the cleaning up part, not so much).  However, since having Eleanor I haven't been doing much "new" cooking.  I've stand with the old stand by recipes.  The only times I have ventured out are when I have had to cook something new for cooking club. 

Well, times they are a changin'.  Out of neccessity really.  As you may have read, I am now on a gluten free diet.  I feel great.  I have had only 1 sick episode in over a month.  That was due to eating some prepared salad at a retreat...I should have known better.  I had no idea what was in it.   There are many items on the market now that are gluten free.  Some are yummy, and some taste.like.cardboard.  REALLY!  I had tried many different things.  I have found a bread that I like, biscuits that are o.k. and cookies that rival Pillsbury.  However...it is all about twice the price of "normal" food.  Some things I am willing to pay for, like the bread.  I just can't make my own bread at this point.  Especailly, when I am the only one eating gluten free bread. 

So, I have decided that at least once a week I am going to try my hand at making something new gluten free.  Because honestly, most things that are gluten free aren't bad.  And if I didn't tell you they were gluten free you might not even know!    Here is to trying new recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment