Sunday, February 26, 2012

Recipe 6 - Whole Chicken Crock Pot Recipe

I love rotisserie chicken and the smoked chicken breast from Soul Fish, however I don't love the price on either and thought I could make that at home. I found a recipe on Pinterest via Food.com that called for using the slow-cooker to cook a whole chicken. We weren't disappointed. The only thing I will say, was that it was literally falling apart as I was taking it out so it didn't really stay together like the ones you might get other places. I'm not sure if I cooked it too long or what, but either way it was delicious and I have plenty leftover for tomorrow nights dinner.

Whole Chicken Crock Pot Recipe

Ingredients
4 teaspoons salt (I used 2)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I didn't have any so I left it out)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper (I didn't have any so I left it out)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chickens ( I used 4 lb. fryer)
1 cup chopped onions ( I sliced mine)
Handful of baby carrots
Directions
In a small bowl, combine the spices.
Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
Place carrots and onion on bottom of crock pot.

Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices.
Cook on low 4-8 hours. (I cooked on high for 4, probably why it was so, so tender but I was nervous about it not getting cooked all the way through and making my family sick!)

No comments:

Post a Comment