Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Little Frustration

***Disclaimer***I know that I am about to complain.  Possibly a lot.  I know that of all the things in life this is a small thing and really isn't worthy of complaint.  However, I am frustrated and for now this is my outlet.


If you have read my previous posts on my stomach issues, you know that I have been dealing with this for a while now.  12 years to be exact.  Almost 1/2 of my life.  I have been to numerous doctors.  I have had countless tests done.  All I have to say is I'm finished.  I'm finished with doctors (not all doctors, just gastro doctors).  They don't seem to believe me and/or don't seem to want to give me a clear answer.  Maybe their afraid of getting it wrong and getting sued.  I get that.  I really do.  I wouldn't want someone to die or get more sick under my watch.  However, I just want help.  Answers would be nice, but I know that they don't always have the answers.  I would like help searching for the answer though.

I had this last round of tests completed on March 16.  Even though I was pretty out of it when the doctor came in.  I remember him telling me that everything looked fine, but continue eating gluten free.  They also said that my results would be back in a week.  So, I gave them a week and 1 day (24th(.  I called...the office didn't call me.  I had to call them.  When they finally called me back, the answer was you don't have cancer and you don't have an infection (please, please, don't get me wrong, I am so incredibly grateful that I am healthy and I don't have either of those things) so the doctor just wants you to take immodium as needed.  I was so stunned by this answer I couldn't gather my thoughts quick enough and ended the conversation.  After getting off the phone I lost it.  First of all, don't you think I've tried immodium?  In fact, it doesn't work.  I'm a pink pepto girl.  Secondly, he has prescribed me some medicine.  So, do I not take that any more?  And thirdly, what about my diet?  Nothing was said, or asked about the gluten free diet.  Which by the way is the only thing that seems to work!    So, I vented to some very kind friends at work.  I planned out what I wanted to say and questions I had when I called back.  1.  I wanted to speak to the doctor or come in for a follow up (shouldn't they have suggested that) and 2.  I wanted to see a copy of the results.  My questions were simple why immodium, what about the prescription and what about gluten free.

The doctor and I play phone tag a couple of times and we finished touched base today ( 4/5/11).  He explained to me that all of the biopsys looked clear (praise) and that I should just take immodium.  I pressed the issue and questioned all of the above.  He said he was unclear to what I was asking.  That they could prescribe something more that immodium.  My thing is though, having an upset stomach (you know what I mean) after almost every time you eat isn't normal.  He didn't seem to want to find out what was causing it.  He said that if I thought gluten free was helping then I could do that.  I thanked him and hung up.

Again, I'm over it.  Maybe I should have waited a few days before writing this and it would have sounded nicer.  Oh well.  My final thought (for now) is this.  Gluten free is making me feel great.  The best I have felt (besides being preg. and not getting sick at all) in 12 years.  So why mess with a good thing.

So, you may ask now, how is being gluten free going for you?  That is a whole other long frustration post in itself.  Stay tuned!

***If you made it to the bottom of this lengthy post, you win the prize!  Thanks for you care, and prayers over the past few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment